Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I recently read that the use of birth control pills can cause

Customer Question

I recently read that the use of birth control pills can cause blood clotting in the eye which can cause blindness. Is this true?

Also, my sister was diagnosed with a macular dystrophy when she was 18 in one eye. It has not changed, and the dr. does not think it will change. I am 42. Should I be concerned about macular dystrophy? I go for annual exams, and so far no problems other than nearsightedness.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi

Dr. Rick :

Yes, it is true that oral birth control can cause an increased chance of blood clots, especially if you smoke. These clots can form anywhere. While they can, of course, form in your eye, this is rare....the deep veins of the legs are much more common.

Dr. Rick :

As far as the sisters retina problems, there are many, many forms of macular dystrophy that can occur in young people, some of them are genetic in nature, some are not. If you have not had any problems and are having annual exams by a good ophthalmologist or retina specialist I wouldn't worry at this point

Dr. Rick :

Something must be on the blink with the chat system today. I see you are going in and out of the chat room but I can't see what you are typing. Let me change to Q&A format and see if that works better.....see you there.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Let's try this. It is a little bit slower but tends to have less bugs.....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information. The fact that my sister has a macular dystrophy, does that increase our changes for macular degeneration?

And if, on the rare occasion a blood clot forms in your eye....is that treatable by your eye dr?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I see that you are still online but I can't see what you are typing, if anything.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
No. They are separate issues....not related at all.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And one last question....i am pretty nearsighted (my contacts are -7.5 and -8.0). Can this cause detached retinas?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Blood clots in your eye are much better avoided then treated. They can cause devastating loss of vision that can be very difficult to fix.....depends on how big the clot is and where in the retina it forms.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
You are at a higher risk then someone not as near sighted, but it doesn't cause it. Just watch out for flashes and floaters....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I hope I've been of some assistance tonight...now, see the pretty green button? :o)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Based on what you said about clotting, in your opinion are birth control pills still safe for women to take?
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know how else I can help you. It's been a pleasure!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
much, much safer then an unwanted pregnancy at 42.....just don't smoke :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is the last and final question and then I will click the pretty green button.
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I answered that one...but I see the gremlins musta ate it.

They are separate things...not related at all. You have no increased risk for the age related macular degeneration you are thinking about due to your sisters macular disease.

Have a great night.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest