Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I also developed blurred vision in one eye suddenly - no blackness,

I also developed blurred vision in one eye suddenly - no blackness, headaches or pain. It started about a month ago and does not get better as the day goes on. It is maybe a little worse in the morning but not by much. Thirty years ago, my two year old accidently poked me in the same eye with his fingernail and I have had to be seen for problems relating to this several times over the years. I have had to have scar tissue removed a couple of times. Could this be part of my problem? Had my vision tested a month ago and she asked me if I had ever had a bad experience with laser surgery. I told her I had not. She prescribed an antibotic to use for a week to no avail.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

It sounds as though you may have developed a problem with the most superficial (or top) layer of your cornea after having had that accidental poking of the eye many years ago. This is quite a characteristic finding in an eye that has had this incidental trauma. When the epithelium, this top-most layer of the cornea, does not attach itself well to the underlying parts of the cornea (this is a common result of trauma such as this), it can cause blurry vision. This would explain the comment about a bad laser surgery experience and also would explain this scar tissue that needed to be removed in the past.

Without being able to examine your eyes, it would be very difficult to know whether this was the cause of your sudden-onset blurry vision. If the eye has become more symptomatic in an irritated, foreign-body sensation way, then that might corroborate this corneal epithelium problem as possibly causing the blurred vision. However, it may be something else altogether. In my experience most sudden onset blurry vision that a patient complains of has, in fact, been progressing for a while and they have just recently done something to cover the other eye and therefore noticed this blurry vision. A change in the need for glasses or a cataract progressing can be causes of this type of blurry vision. If the blurry vision is significantly different than it was before and you can absolutely state that it the vision in that one eye was fine one moment and then suddenly has been blurry ever since, then there may be some other etiologies in play here that your eye doctor would likely have seen, or may need to look into.

If it was not done recently, I would recommend getting a refraction from your ophthalmologist to see if this change in the vision is refractive in nature (just need a new pair of glasses or contact lenses). That way, if it is not refractive in nature, the ophthalmologist can do the necessary testing to determine what is going on.

Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology