Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

right eye..blood..my sight in that eye, which I could handle..left eye

I am a diabetic who had laser surgery secondary to diabetic retinopathy 13 years ago. i recently deeloped a bleed in my right eye; however, the opthomologist was not able to find a bleed to laser. He then stated another alternative is surgery in which they go into the tye and remove the gel contsining the blood floating around---the problem is that there is a 1 in 100 odds that i will lose my sight in that eye, which I could handle except that my left eye has been devective since birth. Is there an alternbative that would or might help eliminate the "spider web that intermittently interefere with vision in the right eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

have you been evaluated by a retina specialist?

Customer :

I am available & no have not been evaluated by retina specialist. The opthomalogist is well known in the Medical Center in Houston and was highly recommended. He aslo stated that because I am diabetic and am maturing, that the retina will sometimes pull and cause bleeds because the veins are weak and if I shpu;d start seeing flashes of light to call the office to have it checked out right away.

Customer :

My blood sugars are in fairly good control. The Endocrinologist assesses my bllod sugars every week (I have to fax them every week). I did recently receive an injection to increase my blood count, which dropped my bloodpressure dangerously low for about three days

Dr. Rick :

Your ophthalmologist is correct. If the blood in your vitreous is keeping her from seeing most of your retina, but she can see the periphery (with scleral depression) I usually have the patient sleep with the head of the bed elevated, do not bend over, cough, strain at stool etc, and recheck in a week or so. The blood should have cleared enough to evaluate the retina at that point. Also, if I am concerned that the retina may be detaching I do not hesitate to do a B scan in my office. This will rule out a retina detachment with 99% correct results. It is of note, however, that Retina diseases is a special interest of mine.

Dr. Rick :

Since you have blood inside your eye you either have active diabetic retinopathy with leaking neovascularization or a vitreous detachment that has broken a vessel in your eye, possibly pulling a hole in your retina. This does not mean your retina is now detaching

Customer :

I see; then I guess I just have to wait it out, but it is very annoying to have that spiderweb affect, feels like if I could move the hair from my face, I would be able to see clearly. The bllod that is there, will it ever go away by any other way other than surgery?

Dr. Rick :

yes, the blood can resolve on its own. I would not rush to have a vitrectomy...give the blood a few weeks to settle down, follow up with your ophthalmologist -- or consider seeing a retina specialist -- and follow the advice above to help it settle.

Dr. Rick :

If the blood does not resolve on its own so the retina can be clearly seen to rule out any pathology then a vitrectomy would be indicated.....but try to put up with the spider webs for a little bit, esp. since your other eye is weak.

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX what my doctor said to do. So, thank you for your reponse.

Dr. Rick :

and the odds of loosing your sight from a vitrectomy, at least in my hands, is a lot less then the quoted 1 in 100

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

It was a pleasure to help you today. Best of luck....and NO bending over, OK?