Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have a swollen left eye lid. I noticed it to be a little

I have a swollen left eye lid. I noticed it to be a little sore to the touch & a little itchy last night & this morning it had noticeably swollen up. I have applied some ice which seemed to help bring it down a little. Is it better to use ice or heat to bring it down? & is there an anti-inflammatory I should take?

Welcome to Just Answer

Is there any history of injury/ insect bite to that eye?

Is the tenderness localised to a particular spot on the eyelid? Have you noticed any stye?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't been aware of any bites. I am however an actor & wear heavy paint/eye make up every night except Mondays. It is possible that some remnant of the make up has gotten in there & caused an irritation. There is tenderness on the eye lid closer to the bridge of my nose. It is definitely localised more to that area, although I don't see a specific lump other than swelling.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

In case there is no injury or insect bite, the swelling could be due to the beginning of a hordeolum( stye- infection of one of the glands in the lids) since there is definite tenderness to touch . It would be better to proceed with warm compresses in painful lesions, atleast twice a day. Along with this you can take oral anti-inflammatory like tab. acetaminophen 650 mg twice a day for 3 days. Visine eye drops are decongestant eye drops and may not be helpful in this condition. If the swelling does not subside within 3 days and if the pain worsens, then it would need oral antibiotics in addition for a period of 5 days for which you will need a prescription ( your GP could possibly help you with it).

Please feel free to ask follow up questions( if any).

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist