Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Before I left for work this morning my left eye starting acting

Customer Question

Before I left for work this morning my left eye starting acting ina strange way....flashes of light in a regular pattern, sort of an arc, in a north to south direction. What do I need to do?!! Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you this morning.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I see you entered the chat room for a second.....Have you ever had anything like this before? Was it just in your left eye and how long did it last? Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Dr. Rick :

Also, testing one eye at a time, does your vision seem to be affected?

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that our chat system is on the blink. I can not see anything you are typing. If this is true, we can switch to the Q&A format and continue to chat live....it's just a little slower.

Dr. Rick :

The system says you entered the chat room again for a brief second....I'll wait a minute or two and then switch systems. With Q&A an email will post each time we talk to each other....

Customer :

Yor repy just came on the screen.

Customer :

I have never had anything like this before.My vision os not affected.

Dr. Rick :

got 'ya now....

Customer :

I have never had anything like this before. My vision is not affected. I do not take any medications. I have no medical problems.

Dr. Rick :

see you in Q&A...

Customer :

Movement makes the flash more intense and noticeable. Being still makes it less noticeable.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I'm here.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Are you still here?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry about the problem with the chat system. Let me try and answer your question.

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for answering my question. I'll go to my optometrist as soon as he will take me. Maybe he will recommend an ophthalmologist, because I do not have one.

I am seeing big floaters now.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome. I suggest you skip the optometrist and ask around the office for the name of an ophthalmologist.....

Good luck and let me know how things turn out.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I fear that the optometrist will want to examine you and then try to give you a diagnosis and treatment plan. As a person who does a lot of retina work it is my firm belief that when it comes to this issue optometrists don't know enough to know what they don't know and are dangerous......
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the accept and positive feedback. Don't worry too much. Since your vision has not been affected even if, worse case, you have a retinal detachment in progress (which is unlikely) being examined by an ophthalmologist today should take care of things.