Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

lenses..has problems blinking his left eye unless he shuts the eye

Hi my son is 23 years old and wears contact lenses. He just messaged me that he has problems blinking his left eye unless he shuts the eye. He could not tell me when this started. Could we be dealing with dry eye syndrome? should he have it checked out tonight or will tomorrow do?
My son just tells me that he has not worn his contacts for a week this is the reason he worries.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you this morning.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that he has dry eyes however in a young and otherwise healthy 23 year old male this would not be my first thought.

Dr. Rick :

I see you are offline. We can use the Q&A system.

Since your son wears contact lenses I would be more concerned about an early corneal ulcer or allergic reaction to the contacts themselves (GPC).

From what you have said I do not feel that it is an emergency that requires a late night visit to the ER but I agree with you that he should be examined by an ophthalmologist first thing in the morning.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.