Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I get occasional double vision accompanied by a mild disorientation

I get occasional double vision accompanied by a mild disorientation thia can occur at any time but usually during the day Cqan you tell me a probable cause and what can I do about it??
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you this afternoon.

Customer :

OK Thanks

Dr. Rick :

How old are you, what medical problems do you have and want medicine do you take? Is there anything you are doing when these episodes happen, such as looking up with your neck sharply bent etc?

Customer :

I'm 77 years old Male, no med problems Recently had Echo Card, Blood tests and etc including a Cat Scan of my head they said it was dehydtation and possibly sinus the only med I take is Alupernal 300 mg 3 times a week

Customer :

Episodes happen at rqandom times position of thew head seems not to be a factor

Dr. Rick :

Thanks for that information. I guess they did all these tests secondary to your symptoms.

Customer :

I had some dizy spells and the Doc ordeered these

Dr. Rick :

I wouldn't jump to dehydration/sinus at the number one diagnosis on my list with a negative workup you mentioned.

Customer :

no mention of the double vision tho

Dr. Rick :

I think you may have something called Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

Customer :

do have some hearing problems My mother had a similar problem w/inner ear balance

Dr. Rick :

it can also cause diplopia and all the things you mentioned.

Customer :

Sounds bad wht is it exactly

Dr. Rick :

It is usually related to issues with the middle ear. It is not bad, in that it is not from a tumor etc but it is "bad" in that the cause usually is never found and there is no good treatment for it. I could talk at length about this but there is an excellent web site you can go to:

Customer :

and what do I do to fix it ?

Dr. Rick :

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/benign_positional_vertigo/article_em.htm

Customer :

thanks will my primaer doc be of any help in this ??

Dr. Rick :

Well, to give your doctor credit, some patients do well when they drink a lot of fluids and medicines for vertigo (although this is not the same condition) such as meclizine has been shown to help.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe your issue is best treat by an ophthalmologist. Usually it is a neurologist who works with BPPV patients

Customer :

He gave me a streroid nose spray thatr seems to help w/the sinus

Dr. Rick :

That is good especially if it seems to help with your symptoms. BPPV, however, will not get better with this, unless the nasal dose of steroids is enough to build up systemic levels...and I wouldn't expect this.

Customer :

OK then what kind of Doc shouldI consult, a neurologist ?

Dr. Rick :

I think that would be best. If possible, try to have the results of your test when you meet with her. Also, she might want an actual copy of your CT scan. The hospital should be willing to give it to you on a disk.

Customer :

I'll look around ad see if I can find one I'm inn Rerno NV do you know of anyone here ??

Customer :

Great I'll get that from them By the way the Renown Hospital here is top drawer

Dr. Rick :

Not personally....I usually just go to the casino's when I'm in town :o). I'm sure there are a number available though. Ask some of your friends or your internal medicine MD for a name or two. It has been a pleasure helping you today.

Customer :

Thank you very much you have been very helpful

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck to you.

Customer :

Very helpful answered all my questions

Dr. Rick :

Just hit that pretty green button.....and have a great day.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest