Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I do hope you can help me, I have a friend (she is just 70

I do hope you can help me, I have a friend (she is just 70 years of age and in very good health)who has just been told today that she needs to have a Corneal Transplant in December, she has already had a partial transplant which has been unsuccessful, she has had a band of calcium forming over the eye which she has now had removed twice.

She lives alone so is anxious to know how long sight recovery will take as she lives alone, and the eye that is to receive the transplant is the only eye she has with any vision, so as you can imagine this chance of a transplant is vital.

I would very much like to be able to tell her roughly how long it will be before she will be able to read her mail or see products on the shelves in shops etc.

Her only alternative would be to keep having this calcium band removed, do you feel this would be an option that she should consider, I would really appreciate your opinion and advice on this matter

Regards XXXXX XXXXX Walton

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Is her sight in the other eye good enough for her to do her daily activities such as walking around, getting dressed, cooking etc?

JACUSTOMER-srwh48je- :

no, she can only see vague shapes, it has been like this all her life

Dr. Rick :

After the transplant she will wear a patch for at least a day. After that her vision will be too poor to get around by herself or use a stove etc for a variable amount of time? How long? It depends on too many intraoperative and postoperative factors to say for sure, but I would guess at least weeks.

Dr. Rick :

I have removed a number of patients band keratopathy in the office using CaETA in a test tube. It sounds like your friend, however, has progressed to the point where there is so much scar formation that a transplant is the only way to restore her vision.

Dr. Rick :

oops....typo: That was CaEDTA

Dr. Rick :

Is she her surgeon a corneal specialist?

JACUSTOMER-srwh48je- :

Yes he is, would there be sufficient vision after a few days to enable her to live alone, in your opinion?

Dr. Rick :

I find myself thinking hard about how to best answer your question........and I think the only way to say it is that I would not be comfortable with my 70 year old family member staying alone for, at least, the first week after an -- uncomplicated -- corneal transplant. At the very least she will need help putting her postop eye drops etc.....

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense? Of course, I would also put these very same questions to your friends surgeon.....knowing that by using a corneal specialist your friend is in the best of hands.

JACUSTOMER-srwh48je- :

Thank you Dr Rick, so it looks like she dosen't really have an alternative,

Dr. Rick :

It is my pleasure. Best of luck to your friend...now a word from our sponsors: :o)

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

And excellent work getting her in to see a corneal specialist in the UK....I've come to learn t