Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I just noticed Leukocoria in my son in an old photo taken 2

I just noticed Leukocoria in my son in an old photo taken 2 years ago, he is 12 years old - could this be a problem?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight.

Dr. Rick :

Leukocoria in a photograph is usually not a problem, especially from such a long time a go. Since you have not said that your son is having visual problems I am assuming that he can see fine

JACUSTOMER-bicncpzt- :

He did complain recently of seeing lumps in his eyes, I just thought it usual things floating in eyes you can see sometimes.

Dr. Rick :

Leukocoria in a picture could be a sign of an undiagnosed retinal/eye tumor in small childrem, or a sign of strabismus......I wouldn't worry about it in a child your son's age. The most likely cause of the white reflex in the picture is that the camera was lined up with his optic nerve in the flash photo.

Dr. Rick :

If you are concerned all fears could be laid to rest with a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist.

JACUSTOMER-bicncpzt- :

ok, yes will take him to an ophthalmologist just to be sure. Thank you for your help.

Dr. Rick :

You are welcome.

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day in Australia......It's ng