Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

the whites of my eyes look like they have turned green on the

the whites of my eyes look like they have turned green on the left side of both eyes.
What would cause this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

Please allow me to ask you a few questions so I can better understand the situation.

1. Are the eyes red at all or have they been red?

2. Do the eyes itch, burn, tear, hurt, emit any discharge or are they sensitive to light?

3. Did this happen suddenly or was it of gradual onset?
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
I'm still here to help you with your question and I'll await your answers to my inquiries.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did not get an anwser. Where do I look for one?

I'm sorry, I inadvertently hit the answer button instead of the need information button. I need you to answer the questions that I posed to you to be able to help you with an answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know what you want to know. I can find no answer from you. My eyes hurt like something is in them. I just tried to wash them out. What would cause the white to look like it is green?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did I miss a step or some thing?

I'm not sure if y you're seeing all of my responses, but in order to help find the cause of your symptoms I need you to answer a few questions: 1. Are the eyes red at all or have they been red? 2. Do the eyes itch, burn, tear, hurt, emit any discharge or are they sensitive to light? 3. Did this happen suddenly or was it of gradual onset?

In the absence of your answering my questions that I've posed to you, there are really no disease entities that I know of that would cause the whites of the eyes to appear green.

I'm not sure if you're seeing all of my responses, but in order to help find the cause of your symptoms I need you to answer a few questions: 1. Are the eyes red at all or have they been red? 2. Do the eyes itch, burn, tear, hurt, emit any discharge or are they sensitive to light? 3. Did this happen suddenly or was it of gradual onset?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was working in the yard yesterday whan I first noticed my eyes hurt. They are not red nor are they discharging anything. I looked in my eye a short time ago to see if I could see something in them when I noticed that the whites on the left side of both eyes looked like they were a green color. They are uncomfortable now.
Are you referring to the outside white parts of the eyes (the white part of the eyes farthest from your nose)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On my right eye the discolor is on the white near my nose. On the left eye it is on the white farthest from my nose.

Do these areas of green seem to be discrete in area or are they diffuse or patchy?

What kind of pain are you having? Is it a deep or achy pain? Pressure? Foreign-body sensation? Burning? Stabbing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The areas are discrete. The pain now feels like there is a foreign body in the eyes.

I think that what you are seeing and what you are feeling are unrelated.

First of all, these areas of greenish-appearing areas on the whites of the eyes are a normal phenomenon where the sclera (the white part of the eye) thins in a discrete patch around these particular areas on the sclera. This happens very commonly as we age. The reason it makes the whites of the eyes look green is because what thin white sclera is left is cast against the background of the colored tissues of the eyes (called uvea). The two colors mixed together cast a greenish-hue.

The foreign-body sensation you are likely feeling is possibly from a foreign-body that got in the eyes when you were working in the yard. Many times once you wash the eyes the foreign-body will fall out; or many times it falls out on its own. Either way, though, you can still feel the effects of the foreign-body as though it were still there. I would advise repeating the eye rinsing with an eye rinse solution you can buy over the counter at the drug store. I would also advise using artificial tears 4-5x/day in that eye to see if that improves your symptoms.

However, it may be that there is still a foreign-body in the eye that is small enough that you can't see it without a microscope. If your symptoms don't improve with these treatments it may be because a foreign-body is still in there that you can't see. Or there may be a different problem. BotXXXXX XXXXXne: if your symptoms aren't gone over the next couple of days, or if your eye becomes red, discharge begins to come from the eye or the vision starts to change significantly then you should be seen by your ophthalmologist because organic foreign bodies can cause significant infections in the eyes if left untreated.

Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.