Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I woke up two days ago with swelling and bruising under my

I woke up two days ago with swelling and bruising under my right eye. It is painful. No discharge or redness within the eye. If i pull down the eye it is red and swollen. Today the swelling is moving further down into my cheek. The skin under the eye is red and looks bruised. I had no accident, nor did I hit my eye on anything. If I touch under my eye it feels like the muscle is firm and painful. I went to a doctor yesterday and he told me to put a compress on it and take an aspirin. I really think something is going on.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer :

Yes.

Customer :

I'm trying to get some answers regarding my eye

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible to take a digital closeup picture of it? There is a new way to post them here. That might be easier the you telling me what it looks like

Customer :

I'm not sure if I should be looking into an eye specialist. or should I give it a few days and see what happens?

Customer :

No.

Customer :

I do not have a photo.

Customer :

I went to the doctors yesterday and he seemed to think it will go away in a few days. Yet, I'm concerned being it is my eye and the swelling is moving down my face a little today.

Dr. Rick :

OK. Is it on the the lower lid, kinda tender to the touch, red on the inside with a lump visible on the outside? Has your vision been affected?

Customer :

The lower lid. Tender to touch and blink. There "is" a lump under the skin Under my eye. My vision hasn't been affected. It's sore, painful and red under my eye.

Customer :

I was thinking an insect bite...maybe?

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause of this is a chalazian or stye. Don't think an insect got you this time.

Customer :

what is chalazian?

Customer :

how should i treat it?

Dr. Rick :

Your doctor is correct. The best treatment is warm compresses and lid scrubs. It can take a few weeks to go away and sometimes a small lump can remain for months. It doesn't require any antibiotics.

Customer :

what is a lid scrub?

Dr. Rick :

If it doesn't get better with this treatment after a week or two you can have it incised and drained in your ophthalmologists office.

Customer :

what is it filling up with and how did this happen?

Customer :

or rather why.

Dr. Rick :

let me give you my "handout" on this topic. This talks about blepharitis but the treatment is the same

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have effect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in a week or so you should have an complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

it happens because the meibomium gland gets plugged up from the normal bacteria that lives on our eyelids. It backs up and fills up with the normal meibomium gland secretions. When you cut into one of these the secretions are sorta like cottage cheese

Customer :

wow! Sounds really strange. I have no discharge though, just swelling and pain.

Dr. Rick :

Ignore the stuff in my handout that talks about allergy meds etc. Ya. They don't give off a discharge....everything backs up inside your lid, hence the pain and swelling.

Customer :

I hope this goes away on it's own. I'll do the compress ,etc...and if it continues to get worse I'll go see a specialist and work it out. When should I REALLY be concerned?

Dr. Rick :

I had one when I was in Medical school. I was too much of a wimp to have it cut and drained. The lump was not painful after about a week and I had a pea sized hard spot in my lid for about 10 months, but it all went away...

Customer :

Alright then.... Thank you for your time, super appreciate it!

Dr. Rick :

There is no time to be really concerned.......go see an ophthalmologist if you are tired of it not going away fast enough and she can do a quick I&D in the office. This is nothing that will cause any long term damage to your eyelid, face eyes etc.

Dr. Rick :

It has been my pleasure. Now, a word from our sponsors :)

Customer :

Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

have a great day

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest