Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

i have a recently developed black spot in my left eye vision.

i have a recently developed black spot in my left eye vision. small but annoying. no pain or irration.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Is the black spot seen in your visual field at a fixed point or does it float as you move the eyes?

Any history of glaucoma in the family?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when looking straight ahead it is about 10am on a clock face. as my left moves, it moves with it. no known history of glaucoma

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

If the black spot were to be a floating one , it would have suggested a posterior vitreous detachment(PVD). In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached from its surrounding retina and clumps to the centre of the eye. During this event it may give rise to various eye symptoms like flashes of light and floaters( which can vary as wavy lines/spots/circles etc). It is a harmless condition and does not require any intervention or treatment. As a precautionary measure a routine retina test needs to be performed just to check for the intactness of the retina. Very rarely the retinal traction may induce tiny retinal holes or tears which if found can be sealed with lasers. But a sudden shower of spots can indicate a retinal detachment which is heralded by presence of a shadow or veil or curtain in the field of vision , thus requiring urgent treatment.

If you feel that the black spot is unlike the above picture and is definitely fixed in the visual field and moves in the same direction as the eye moves, then it does require further evaluation with visual field analysis by perimetry. If you have never been evaluated for glaucoma then a preliminary eye check up becomes mandatory. In glaucoma , as the intraocular pressure rises it kind of puts pressure on the optic nerve and results in corresponding visual field defects. A small black spot which is fixed , can be an early change ( it is very rare to get an enlarged blind spot without any cause) seen in glaucoma. Depending on how the black spot behaves in the next few days, you can get an appointment for an eye check up for intraocular pressure recording, perimetry and fundus examination for retinal evaluation. If PVD is confirmed then there is no further treatment required.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions( if any).

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am on vacation. will be home on 11/4 (6 days). can i wait til then to see a Dr. ?
Yes, For the tests mentioned above you can wait for a week . Your symptom is not suggestive of anything very serious as of now . You can get back and get the tests done.

Thank you and best wishes

Please do remember to press the accept button , if you have found the answer satisfactory.

Please read the answer to your follow up question( replied within 3 minutes and 35 seconds - I guess I need to type even faster than this to avoid this feedback!!!!!) . My screen shows that you have not viewed the follow up answer. I guess a problem with just answer and not at my end for sure.