Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

My husband had a sore throat and then a cough and some nasal

My husband had a sore throat and then a cough and some nasal drip and now has conjunctivitis in both eyes. I know about the transference thing and prevention to others in the household, but is there an OTC med for his eyes. Is this just a heavy-duty cold or should we seek a doc in emergency?

P.S. He is in good shape physically, was a SWAT team leader before retiring six years ago, has ongoing migraines once to twice a month because of a car accident seven years ago, and takes meds for those.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

Hello there

most cases of the conjunctivitis are self limited. It sounds like he has a viral upper respiratory infection, and probably developed a viral conjunctivitis as well. This is very contagious, and is transmitted via droplets, so contact precautions are sufficient. I would seek care if the pink eye lasts longer than 5-7 days or if there is any decrease in vision or significant discharge that is purulent which would mean there may be a bacterial infection. There is no over the counter remedy in the USA. I wish you and your husband well. Regards XXXXX XXXXX