Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

problem seeing fully out of one or both of my eyes..every two months

From time to time, I have a problem seeing fully out of one or both of my eyes. There appears to be wavy spots floating around(looks like the blurry area you would see above hot pavement in the summertime). It doesn't seem to last more than a few hours and it happens maybe once every two months.

Hello there

I see patients with similar symptoms quite often. Folks often describe a bright or colorful pattern (sometimes wavy or zigzag in nature) and it can be in one eye and moves to the other, sometimes affecting the central vision. Sometimes there is a headache following this as well. This is called an ophthalmic migraine. The names can be confusing. Think of it this way:

only the visual symptoms - no headache = ophthalmic migraine (also known as ocular migraine).

headache with an aura is called a classic migraine (headache with some peculiar visual warning / episode prior to headache)

Migraines are common and typically require no treatment, except for more rest, less stress, etc. Sometimes caffeine can help shorten the episode. I hope this helps answer your question, if not, just let me know, Regards

Dr. Stevens