Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I recently noticed a little white pimple on the white part

I recently noticed a little white pimple on the white part of my eyeball just outside of my iris. It is surrounded by a circular redness (like a circular red vein; and then a small amount of fluid outside of that .. not much - though it is clouding the outer part of my iris .... so I cannot see that part of the circle of my iris clearly).

The pimple also has little red veins leading into the corner of my eye making it look bloodshot. My whole eye feels a little dry and irritated, and I wake up with somewhat dry eyes.

I have had this condition for just on 7 days now.

I don't know what caused it? I have been out in windy weather a lot lately and thought perhaps some debris blew into my eye and perhaps damaged/caused it?. I also spend quite a bit of time on my computer in the evenings?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I would like my mind to be put at rest. I am in good health and not overweight and have low blood pressure, although I have a diabetic father who also has had problems with his eyes over the past 20 years, so this is making me nervous. I am hoping it is just something temporary and unrelated to his issues.

Thanks you SO much!!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer :

hello

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand and accept those terms?

Customer :

yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Do you have any eye pain?

Dr. James :

Do you have any decrease in vision?

Dr. James :

Is it in one eye or both eyes?

Customer :

A little aching (but not much) and a slight feeling of dryness and tenderness. Just in the one eye... and no decrease in vision although it is the very slightest bit blurry in the eye concerned (left eye)

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

You likely have a pinguecula is has gotten irritated or inflamed.

Dr. James :

I recommend you use artificial tears to soothe your eyes with cool compresses.

Dr. James :

If it worsens, I recommend you see your eye doctor for prescription medicine to decrease the inflammation associated with the pingueculitis.

Customer :

What is pingueculitis?

Customer :

and I have been using eyedrops already with no improvement

Dr. James :

Do the pictures from the link above look similar to what you have?

Customer :

Will just take a look

Customer :

Yes ... very similar ... although not as raised or pronounced as some of these photos

Customer :

Is there anything I can do apart from eye drops to heal it?

Customer :

What causes it?

Dr. James :

You can have a yellowish or whitish grown on the whites of your eyes called a pinguecula. This usually from in response to sun exposure and dry eyes. When it gets inflammed, it is called pingueculitis.

Dr. James :

UV rays and dry eyes.

Dr. James :

If over the counter drops do not relieve it, then prescription eye drops can help.

Customer :

I don't spend a lot of time outside in the sun .... Can over use of computers or iphone use cause this? from the glare?

Customer :

Is it diet related in any way?

Dr. James :

Dry eyes can do it. Glare from computers/iphone do not cause it.

Dr. James :

no.

Customer :

Will prescription eye drops take it away or just lessen it temporarily?

Customer :

What causes the dry eyes?? I have only noticed dry eyes in the past couple of months?

Dr. James :

It reduces the inflammation and reduce. If it is a pinguecula, the whitish bump would still remain. Once it improves, it will be much less noticeable however.

Dr. James :

There are many things which can cause dry eyes.

Dr. James :

Contact lens use, allergies, medicine.

Customer :

I don't use contacts, have allergies or take any medicine??

Customer :

Could it be a thyroid issue? I think I have a low thyroid?

Dr. James :

Though you have only felt your eyes drys for the past couple of months, you likely had a mild form it it for many months to year prior to this.

Dr. James :

Have you had your thyroid levels checked recently?

Customer :

Yes, had it checked at it was on the low side. Have been changing my diet to help with this.

Dr. James :

Pinguecula develops very slowly of many, many months. You should check with your eye doctor to see if there is anything you can do to minimize its growth.

Customer :

Did have an operation 4 years ago to remove a benign tumor and it was situated behind my OTHER eye. Perhaps my eye dryness started back at that time.

Dr. James :

Unfortunately, it may be hard to tell when dry eyes start. Dry eyes is a very common condition.

Customer :

How is it that I just noticed it all of a sudden last week and never saw it coming on gradually?

Dr. James :

It is more noticeable now because it is inflamed.

Dr. James :

Many people are not aware they have it, but it is something eye doctors see very commonly.

Customer :

Is there any particular vitamin/mineral supplement that would help?? Omega 3 oils? etc?

Customer :

Sorry to have so many questions ... You are being VERY helpful :-)

Dr. James :

Flax seed oil and omega-3 have been shown to be helpful in dry eyes.

Customer :

Fabulous !! I will include more of these for certain.

Customer :

Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Dr. James :

You're welcome. It is important to check with your eye doctor for confirmation.

Dr. James :

Best wishes.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer :

I have never used this service before and was very nervous / hesitant about doing so but it has been very worthwhile and valuable!!

Customer :

Thank you !!

Customer :

I will do !! :-)

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon