Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My soon to be 12 year old daughter started blinking almost

Customer Question

My soon to be 12 year old daughter started blinking almost constintly about a year ago....she wears eyeglasses for all the time but continuously blinks her eyes..what could be causing this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

In my experience, when children start to exhibit a pattern of excessive blinking, it is usually related to a problem with the tear film coating the front of the eye, usually dry eyes. Allergies can also be affecting the eyes causing itching, stinging or burning. The allergies in and of themselves can also exacerbate dry eyes. I would recommend using warm compresses once daily, but most importantly using artificial tears 4x/day for a few weeks to see if that provided relief, thereby improving the blinking. If there is no change in her blinking after a few weeks if this, however, I would recommend seeing your eye doctor to determine if there is anything else irritating the eyes.

Does that make sense and help address your concerns? I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.
 My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.