Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am a 58 yr old female in good health. A full physical with

I am a 58 yr old female in good health. A full physical with my Medical Doc gives me an A. I am concerned because I am losing the vision in my left eye. I have never seen clearly without eyeglasses; always been very nearsighted. However, my vision has always been corrected with lenses. I have had decreasing visual acuity, increased light sensitivity and increasingly blurred vision in my left eye only over the past 10 months. After working all day the left eye sometimes looks glassy, and red. My opthamologist told me in June that these changes were because I was getting older and that nearsightness was progressive. I have not required lense changes for > 5 yrs and these changes have always been minor. Dilated eye exam did not show any problems with the retina. He did say that I had the beginning of a cataract or a slight clouding of the lense left eye only. Since that visit, vision in the left eye has worsened. My new eyeglasses no longer correct the vision in my left eye and I am having trouble driving at night. I am reluctant to return to my opthamologist. Could these changes be from just getting older? If so, why only one eye. The left eye was always my better eye. If this continues, I suspect I will be blind in that eye within another year the way it is progressing. I want to get another opinion. Can you direct me to what type of eye doc I should see?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

As you already stated, you have no significant medical problems, which helps to put many causes much farther down the list of possibilities.

I believe your symptoms and decreasing vision could all be caused by an increase in the cataract previously noted in your left eye. It is not uncommon for one eye to have more of a cataract then the other. Cataracts tend to cause more and more of a myopic shift, difficulty with night vision and, in some types, increasing glare. In my experience I've had patients with cataracts who noticed changes in their eye glass prescription every three months prior to having cataract surgery.

When it comes to important issues I always believe in obtaining a second opinion. Any Board Certified Ophthalmologist in your area should be able to diagnose your condition and discuss possible treatment options.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest