Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Im a 60 year-old male in good health. Had cataract surgery

I'm a 60 year-old male in good health. Had cataract surgery in both eyes approximately 10 years ago. This morning I noticed about 5-6 floaters in my right eye that were new. This afternoon I noticed that if I held my head stationary and shifted my vision from down to forward, there appears an opaque semisphere which appears for a second at the bottom of my right eye. Otherwise my vision seems normal, floaters have mostly gone away.
Is this likely a retinal tear?
It's Saturday evening, should I see my opthamologist on Monday or do something sooner?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Dan, with the sudden onset of several new floaters and this visual field defect in your eye which has had prior surgery, I would not wait until Monday. I would recommend that you call your ophthalmologist's office now and speak to the on-call doctor; this does sound suspicious for a retinal detachment. You are even at more risk if there is a family history of retinal detachments or you are highly myopic (nearsighted), at least prior to your cataract surgery anyway.

Does this make sense and does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.