Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

hello my question is regarding my 7 year old son. he was

hello

my question is regarding my 7 year old son. he was a preemie and is a very healthy guy. the one residual "badge" is ptosis (left eye). he is ready for surgery and the reason that i have waited is because i feel that he is still small physically and the outcome might be better at an older age. his vision is not impaired and he is doing fine in school. my gut tells me that his peripheral vision has to be compromised, no? i guess my question is twofold, when is the right time for best outcome and how close to perfect can the result be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician. ?

Dr. James :

Hello.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
It appears you are offline.

There are a variety of factors which go into deciding when to go ahead with surgery. The first aspect is age. It is true that it is best to wait until the eye has developed to precede with surgery; however at age 7, the eye has developed enough where age is less an issue.

The second aspect is if the ptosis is affecting his vision. A droopy eyelid can block his peripheral vision and surgery may help.

The third aspect would be cosmetic. Surgery allows for the two eyes to look more symmetric. Realize that the ptosis in children is usually due to poor development of the eyelid muscle since birth. Since the muscle is not completely normal, even with perfect surgery the two eyelids will not be exactly the same. However, with surgery, it will be closer together in appearance and function more normally.

I'd recommend you talk to an ophthalmologist regarding the surgical options.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.