Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My eyes are blood shot, redder from the bottom and halfway

My eyes are blood shot, redder from the bottom and halfway up my eye. The corners of my eyes are slightly swollen and red. If I pull the skin out at the bottom of my eye, there is a red strip that goes away temporarily with allergy eye drops, but is back within a half hour. They are worse in the morning. The allergy drops also give me a slight headache. They feel gritty and dry, with a little bit of aching and pressure. No itching, or discharge.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question this morning.

Dr. Rick :

It sound like you may be suffering from a couple of things. Dry eyes, blepharitis and some type of allergic component.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I treat blepharitis?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I just posted more information about blepharitis etc but it doesn't seem to be showing up in the system. I'll give it a few more moments and, if needed, I'll type it all over again. Sorry about that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have any scaling or flaking. just redness and slight pressure, ache. No swelling, itching, discharge, scaling, flaking.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

I don't know what happened to my other data......but we can continue from this point.

I think a lot of what is going on with your eyes is allergies. It is common for allergy drops, such as visine, to last for only a short time. In the vast majority of patients with ocular allergies there is also associated blepharitis. I see you posted something. I'll go read it and come right back.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Guess it was just your post above coming through my email system.....

Of course, natural tears 3-4x/day can be used to dry eyes. If necessary your ophthalmologist can close off your tear ducts via a number to methods to increase how long your own tears remain in your eye.

Even without scaling or flaking you could have blepharitis.

To treat this you can purchase some unsented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to get excess skin out of the way) and scrub along your EYELASHES back and forth. The warm water will soften the plugged up oils in your meibomium glands, your fingers will help to force the gunk out of the glands and the baby shampoo will wash it away. This will also remove any allergens that may be present.

For the allergic component it is almost impossible to find the agent that is responsible, although you could see an allergist if needed. Usually OTC medicine like zertec helps. Benadryl is also useful but many patients find that it causes them to be tired.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest