Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Why does bright lights and night driving cause me to get spotted

Customer Question

Why does bright lights and night driving cause me to get spotted vision and excruciating pain in the back of my head. My eyes have been checked and my vision is 20/30, however when driving at night and when exposed to bright lights (day or night) The pain that is caused is terrible and trigger migraine headaches.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question tonight.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what information do you need?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

You are describing classic migraine symptoms when you stated that you have aura's, neck ache and headaches.

It is very common for bright or excessive light to be a trigger for migraine headaches with some studies reporting almost 50% of people with migraines reporting light as their primary trigger.

The problem that you are experiencing when you drive at night, see spots, get a neck ache and a migraine it not related to issues with your eyes, contacts or has to do with you brain and your propensity for migraines. I would recommend that you be evaluated by a neurologist who treats migraine headaches.

There are some very good articles published on this topic by the mayo clinic. You can find them by googling "mayo clinic migraine" headaches or going to mayoclinic dot org/migraine.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
I think I have all the information I needed. I'm still online and can answer your questions with the Q&A format. Did the above information make sense to you?