Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My daughter had a slight squint from age 3. She has always

My daughter had a slight squint from age 3. She has always used glasses, and was under a paediatric ophthalmologist till age 9 when we moved to the UK.
The optometrist referred us to an ohthalmologist, who said, in fact, she just needed to get confident not using her glasses, and all the tests they did (including pinhole )were fine.A year later the optometrist again said her sight was worsening, but the GP would not refer us as the specialist report was reassuring.
Unknown to me, she felt her sight was getting 'dimmer. Her latest test indicates her sight did get worse, and the optometrist tells me amblyopia means there is nothing more they can do to correct it.
Please help, what can I do now?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Dr. Rick :

Was the ophthalmologist in the UK who the optometrist refered you to also pediatric specialist?

Customer :

Opthalmologist referred to , and last two years of tests were in the UK.

Customer :

Padiatric opthalmologist age 3 to 8 was in the States

Customer :

Hello, I responded with 5 mins of Dr. Rick's query, yet it has been an hour now. Will Dr. Rick no longer be handling my enqiry?

Dr. Rick :

for some reason my screen did not pop up that you were online. Sorry about the delay.

Dr. Rick :

Did you daughter wear a patch as a young child to treat her amyblyopia? Did she require eye muscle surgery and was her vision able to be corrected to normal in the past?

Dr. Rick :

I also am guessing that the ophthalmologist you have seen in the UK is not a pediatric specialist, is that correct?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. The system says you are in the chat system. Are you there.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I guess you are away from your computer, even though it is linked to the chat system. I will stand by for a bit but we can still correspond via the Q&A format.

Customer :

So sorry, I was indeed away though not logged out.

Customer :

As a little child, we were told she did not require a patch. She just had corrective glasses for amblyopia, which we were told she could wear when her eyes were tired from reading. So she used them on & off (mostly on). Amblyopis was never used as a term until last week! and you are right, the ophthalmologist seen 2 years ago in the UK was not a paediatic specialist. But last year and this we were told her vision had progressively reduced.

Customer :

Previously we were not under the impression the vision could only be corrected to a certain degree. Mistaken or not, we got the impression it might improve somewhat as her eye shape changed with growth.

Customer :

I am stepping away for an hour, but do not want to 'accept' the answer yet, till we are done. Thank you

Customer :

Dr. Rick, are you there?

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX seen your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

The optometrist is correct.....to a point. Usually the most visual improvement from ambylopia is achieved by age 7 or so. There have been many cases where, after vision "slid back" after treatment, that with a patients best glasses in place and restarting ambylopia therapy, vision has been improved after age seven -- even into the early double digit years.

As you well know, the best person equipped to treat your daughter is a pediatric ophthalmologist. This is what I would do if I was in your shoes.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Ok, no problem. We will have to use the Q&A format, but we can do it in real time. What other information can I give you?