Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What if one of my eyes is suddnly painful, and the sclera is

What if one of my eyes is suddnly painful, and the sclera is reddish in the corner and the rest of the sclera is a cloudy, greyish color?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you tonight.

Dr. Rick :

do you wear contacts? Has your vision been affected?

Dr. Rick :

are you available for chat?

Customer :

No I do not wear contacts and my vision is only slightly blurry

Dr. Rick :

tell me more about the pain. Could you have got anything in your eye? Is sharp/dull/like a foreign body etc?

Customer :

no, nothing in there. It is dull and tender to touch

Customer :

getting sensitive to light as well

Dr. Rick :

ok. Do you have any medical problems or take medicine?

Customer :

no, none

Customer :

three months pregnant

Dr. Rick :

Pregnancy shouldn't painful eyes, so your OK on that count. It sounds to me like you may have episcleritis or scleritis. Does it seem to you to be an eye infection? (discharge, swelling etc)

Customer :

no discharge, it does seem very slightly larger then the other eye, not a big difference though

Dr. Rick :

There are many possible diagnosis from your symptoms, but the most likely in an otherwise healthy woman is episcleritis. Episcleritis has a rapid onset of redness and mild pain in one or both eyes without any discharge. There can be associated uveitis (swelling inside the eye which would cause light sensitivity) with tenderness of the affected area.

Dr. Rick :

does sound like what you are experiencing?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

I did have one incidence of this at the beginning of the year. The light sensitivity got so bad I could not have any light on or it would cause pain, it did subside within about a 2 days. Should I be concerned or will it go away on it's own? Is there anything I can do other than meds, as I am pregnant I do not take any meds.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Now I bet you want to know what you should do? For mild cases I have patients use natural tears 4-6x/day. For moderate cases I add ibuprofen 600 mg 3x/day with meals (it can be hard on the tummy) and for severe cases I add a mild topical steroid drop (FML 4x/day)

Customer :

Is Natural Tears something I can get at a Walgreens or CVS?

Dr. Rick :

This is where the baby becomes an issue. It's been a long time since my wife was pregnant and I no longer keep up on what you can and can't take. I would ask your obgyn what she thinks before starting it and, for sure, using any type of steroids...even topical drops.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, you can get them almost anywhere. They are all basically the same. Buy the cheap ones.

Customer :

Are those ok with the pregnancy? The Natural Tears?

Dr. Rick :

If things get worse, especially the light sensitivity, go and see an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

yes. The natural tears are just salt water.

Dr. Rick :

they even come preservative free.....you could soak the baby in 'em without a problem...well, maybe not soak :)

Customer :

lol, but as of right now, no need to go see someone asap, just if it persists?

Dr. Rick :

Yup. No need to run to the eye doc right away, unless it gets worse, you vision gets worse or you get more light sensitive.

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been very helpful.

Dr. Rick :

I hope I've been helpful. If you would be so kind as to mash the 'accept' button so I get credit I'd appreciate it. Good luck on the new family member!

Dr. Rick :

have a good night.

Customer :

I will, thanks. Have a great night as well.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest