Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Is there any cure for Retinal artery/ vein occlusion Any not

Is there any cure for Retinal artery/ vein occlusion? Any not any alternatives?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer :

My cousin who I am the same age 52 hase just temporaily or permanently lost the vision on one eye.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer :

hello

Dr. James :

Sorry, about the delay. Slight lag in the internet connection.

Dr. James :

Before we start.

Dr. James :

Please note that JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand and accept those terms?

Customer :

yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Did you cousin have a artery occlusion or a vein occlusion?

Customer :

yes age 52

Dr. James :

Yes, do you know if it affected the artery or the vein as those are different conditions?

Customer :

Not sure. He had a shot into his eye a week ago.

Dr. James :

I suspect he had a vein occlusion.

Dr. James :

Treatment options are limited.

Dr. James :

The blood supply going to the retina has one entrance vessels and one exit vessel.

Dr. James :

In a central retinal vein occlusion, the clot is at the exit vessel. The blood backs up just as water in a pipe would back up. The blood can leak out of the vessels under the high pressure and cause swelling of the retina.

Dr. James :

It is not possible to remove that clot since it is in such a delicate and small area. The clot will resolve eventually and the goal of treatment is to control the damage until blood flow is fully restored.

Dr. James :

That is the purpose of the shot in the eye your cousin had.

Dr. James :

Sometimes laser treatment to the retina may help with the swelling as well.

Dr. James :

There is nothing more effective than these two options.

Customer :

i was told I have harding of my arteries by my opthomalogiest. Could I expect the same conditions? I have similar contitions borderline diabetes, high blood pressure both under control with meds.

Dr. James :

Glaucoma, diabetes, and high blood pressure are risk factors for a vein occlusion. It is important to keep these conditions under controlled. Other than that, you should not worry as your risk is similar to most other people.

Customer :

ok thank you.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

Hello?

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you?

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon