Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

congenital colyboma..today, the vision in my right eye clouded

My right eye is good. I have a congenital colyboma in my left. My question is that today, the vision in my right eye clouded like my glasses were dirty. A dark mass is in my field of vision and snaky dark lines and spots fill the field. I can still see through this. What has happened?
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have a coloboma in your right eye too?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

does the mass move?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-dewqma84- :

OKAY I just figured out how to answer. No I do not have a coloboma in my right eye. The mass and lines move when I shift my vision

JACUSTOMER-dewqma84- :

Yes I am here.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have had a bleed into the back of your right eye, in the vitreous

Dr. Rick :

Also, there is a high chance the mass you see in your visual field is a retinal detachment in progress.

JACUSTOMER-dewqma84- :

Do I need to do anything or will it clear?

Dr. Rick :

You need to have someone drive you to an ER now where an ophthalmologist is on call and be evaluated.

JACUSTOMER-dewqma84- :

That doesn't sound good.

JACUSTOMER-dewqma84- :

It is late in the day. Will tomorrow morning be okay?

Dr. Rick :

no, but if it is a retinal detachment the sooner you have it treated the better. And if it is only blood in your eye, while it will not require immed. Rx, you can find out soon what caused it

Dr. Rick :

If you are having a retinal detachment it would be best to be seen now. That being said, if he macula (the center of your retina) is already involved in the detachement they may wait for surgery as a few hours won't really matter....depending on the degree of detachment of the macula and some other factors.

JACUSTOMER-dewqma84- :

I will go in tomorrow. I live in a rural area and I can see my regular ophthalmologist tomorrow. A chance I will have to take.

Dr. Rick :

It it was my eye, I'd have it checked tonight if possible. Are you in a large enough town for an ophthalmologist to be available?

Dr. Rick :

I understand. I live in a very rural area.....I'm the only ophthalmologist for 2 hrs in any direction.

Dr. Rick :

Tonight then, don't do any reading. It's ok to watch tv. Try to sleep with your head elevated.

JACUSTOMER-dewqma84- :

No. I know that no one will be available this late. A regular doctor is all I will be able to see.

JACUSTOMER-dewqma84- :

Okay, I will do this. If anything changes I will go in and see whoever is on call.

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck tomorrow. I hope I've been able to help some. If you would be so kind as to press 'accept' I'd appreciate it. Seeing a regular MD will be of no value so see your ophthalmolgist tomorrow AM.

JACUSTOMER-dewqma84- :

Yes, you have been of help and I appreciate it.  Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad you noticed the symptoms quickly. If you have any other concerns just put them to my name and I'll do all I can to help at no additonal charge.

Hi. I was just thinking about you and wondering how things turned out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The next morning the snaky threads coming from the mass were much faded. Now they are almost gone. The dark mass is fading. I did not go in to see my opthamologist. Actually, the lines have always been there, very faintly. Just before I had contacted you, these lines filled in with black suddenly. A few days before this happened I tripped and fell, not hitting my head, but I think the jar caused bleeding into my eye. Since it is healing, I did not contact my doctor due to the risk of him being forced to "do something" to cover his own vulnerablity due to me coming to him. I knowingly and willing take the risk of blindness that an actual detached retina would cause. There is much at stake here but all of life is a gamble. Thank you for asking and following up on this.

Thanks for the info. It is good that the mass is fading and the threads are much less. If you have a chance in the near future stop by your ophthalmologists office to make sure there isn't a tear in your retina that caused the bleeding.....you don't have to let him do anything if you don't want to.....

It was a pleasure to help you. Have a great day.