Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

cataract..very red eyes, now i have very dry eyes, but the eye

I had a cataract operation in 2003, told consultant on my check up, my eye was going blured when reading, told i got glasses to soon, since then has got a lot worse, went to see consultant, i had very red eyes, now i have very dry eyes, but the eye that was operated on is very blured, after seeing him for the past 3 years he said my implant has failed, i will have to have an operation under anasetic to replace it, i am very worried, as my eye only has to be touched and go`s very very red, i am frighted, that when he operates it will be really bad, i have to have an anasetic as its been lasered. And he said cannot be done under a local, another thing that scares me is the anasetic. Can you help to calm me. IS THERE A PROBLEM ANSWERING MY QUESTION AS I HAVE BEEN WAITING NEARLY 4 HOURS?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. PG :

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.

From the description of your symptoms, it appears that there is some inflammation in your eye that has increased slowly over the years.

This inflammation can be due to vitreous loss (thick fluid in the posterior part of the eye) during surgery which is causing irritation in your eye or any other complication.

You may be having an allergic reaction to the implant which is very rare.

Basically it is affected your retina causing blurred vision, specially for near vision. Before undergoing any procedure, I would certainly advise you to get a second opinion done, because the surgical intervention for the above two possibilities are different.

Also you might investigations like OCT/ FFA to determine the amount of edema in your retina pre-operatively.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do have the inflammation i both eye`s, the eye that needs the operation the left one, go`s blurred as i read, then will not focus for ages, my sight in that eye is not good. What is OCT/FFA
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.

These are investigations to know the status of the retina of the affected eye. OCT is like a scan of the retina. FFA (fundus fluorescein angiography) is an angiography of the retina. Both are OPD procedures and do not take much time. These investigations will help in knowing the amount of edema in the retina, which will help in deciding whether you need some treatment before surgery also in the form of injections or eye drops.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I forgot to tell you my consultant says that my left eye the blurring one, is very cloudy, and they cannot see behind it, I am very scared (you might say) because it go`s very red when touched about this operation. They are telling me its the only option?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>Could you complete my eye question, as i have been waiting since yesterday, are there any problems</p>
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.

If your eye is blurry then it indicates that you might have a cloudy cornea (black portion of eye) or the inflammation is massive masking the posterior view. In an inflamed eye usually surgery is avoided until the inflammation is controlled, unless its an emergency. If the posterior part of the eye is not visible, then you would need a B scan which an ultrasound to determine the status of the retina.

I again believe that you need a second opinion.