Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

alot of trouble keeping his eyes open is there anything

Customer Question

my husband has psp and is having alot of trouble keeping his eyes open is there anything that can be done kathleen sutters.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Dr. Rick :

Could you tell me a little bit more about psp? I'm not sure what that stand for? Also, what other medical conditions does he have and what medicine does he take?

Dr. Rick :

Good morning. Would you like to use the chat function?

Customer :

i am just finding out what psp means

Customer :

progressive supranuclear palsey

Customer :

co-benelodpa

Customer :

sorry co-beneldopa madopar

Customer :

thats one of the medicines he takes

Customer :

r u there plz

Customer :

am still waiting

Dr. Rick :

I am back online. How advanced is your husbands PSP? Are his eyelids closing due to muscle spasm or is more due to his eyeballs not moving normally? I will leave this screen on while I'm in the office and check back between patient appointments so see if you are online. With such a complicated condition as your husbands, chat would be much faster then just leaving messages back and forth, although it can be done that way too....

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm available to chat, however we can use the Q&A system too. That way we will each get an email post when a message is sent.

Customer :

im n ot sure how advanced psp is i think his eyes are closing due to muscles

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm here

Dr. Rick :

It is strange that the botox would work for such a short time

Customer :

hia dr rick

Customer :

i know but it only lasts for about three hrs and he keeps falling

Dr. Rick :

So, as I understand it your husbands eyelids are squeezing shut due to his PSP and, if they would just relax, he could open them, is that correct? The falling could be related to his PSP and not only due to the fact he can't see well.

Dr. Rick :

blepharospasm (closing of the eyes) is just one of a large number of symptoms and issues in PSP and it may not be as easily treated by the standard methods used in isolated eyelid problems.

Customer :

its defo his psp why hes falling and his eyes are closing as well due to psp i wondered if there is anything can be done about psp

Dr. Rick :

There really, as you know, are no good treatments for your husbands condition. He is already on some of the meds thought to help. In regards XXXXX XXXXX blepharospasm I would be comfortable using a larger dose of botox in his case, with the understanding that it may cause his eyelids to become totally weak and unable to open. In that case you are no worse off then when you started.

Customer :

well thanks dr rick i will take your advice ab

Dr. Rick :

There is a very good article available on the internet. It is written for doctors but I'm sure you could get some good information out of it. You can find it by searching google under progressive supranucular palsy and click on the 9th entry down "Progressive supranuclear palsy: eMedicine Neurology"

Dr. Rick :

I hope I've been helpful. I wish you and your husband the very best.

Customer :

thanks very much dr rick

Dr. Rick :

If you would be so kind as to push the 'accept' button I would appreciate it.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.