Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what chance does someone who has had infant glaucoma which

Customer Question

what chance does someone who has had infant glaucoma which was surgically repaired will have retina degenaration.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi I'll be happy to help you today.

Dr. Rick :

How has well has your glaucoma been controlled during your life?

Dr. Rick :

I would guess you had a trabeculatomy as an infant. Have you needed further glaucoma surgery during your life?

Dr. Rick :

Your chances of having a retinal degeneration, such as age related macular degeneration, would be the same as the general public, which is about 2% for a person age 50, and 30% for a person over the age of 75. Women seem to be at a higher risk then men, smoking greatly increases your risk, as do family history of retinal degeneration and history of high cholesterol.

Dr. Rick :

There are no studies that show a that a prior history of eye surgery or glaucoma would in any way increase your risk.

Dr. Rick :

Is there a specific retinal degeneration or condition you would like me to address for you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this has answered your question. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

As I stated above, I will be happy to continue to answer your questions -- at no additional cost -- until you are comfortable that your issues have been covered. I would be happy to go over specific retinal degenerations, topics of life long glaucoma and how the two might relate if you could give me more specific information. Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.