Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Can progressive cataracts cause loss of memory and inability

Can progressive cataracts cause loss of memory and inability to remember simple words._My mother is 85 and has just been diagnosed with progressed cataracts. However since her eye test at the optician she cannot remember the simplest of words and is becoming more confused daily. Prior to her eye test 2 months ago she was still driving her car and had a very sharp memory.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's predicament. The progression of cataracts, by itself, does not cause short-term memory loss or dementia. However, one of the biggest risk factors for the onset of dementia is poor vision. It has been documented that patients with dementia do much better in terms of their memory and functioning when the vision is optimized, and taking out cataracts and putting on the most appropriate glasses would likely help your mother out in this respect.

Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.