Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My daughter sprayed liquid potpourri and some got in her eyes,

My daughter sprayed liquid potpourri and some got in her eyes, I immediately flushed both eyes with water, she seems to be ok, but I wanted to know if there were any symptoms I need to be on the lookout for or if she needs to be seen by a physician.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I'm sorry; that is likely pretty painful. She will have red eyes because of the chemical trauma to the conjunctiva (clear tissue overlying the whites of the eyes) and cornea. She should also use some artificial tears (preservative-free) several times/day, use cool compresses, and maybe even some lubricating eye ointment at night to help her eyes feel better. But if her vision is significantly worsened, or she has significant eye pain or sensitivity to light, then she should be seen by her eye doctor to assess for any significant damage or inflammation in the eyes.

Does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.