Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

How do I get rid of macular degeneration Without drugs.

How do I get rid of macular degeneration? Without drugs. Jan Robles.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately there is no way to rid yourself of macular degeneration once it has started. The best thing you can do is to eat well and live a healthy lifestyle as you have already begun. Also, not smoking is a very important thing to be following. Lastly, a special formulation of multi-vitamins was proven in the Age-Related Eye Disease Study to slow the progression of macular degeneration and decrease the incidence of severe vision loss in macular degeneration. To that end, I would recommend buying one of these supplements (they can be found at any drug store over-the-counter) and start using them. They are all of fairly equal efficacy; but if you have smoked before in your life, do not take any of these supplements that have Vitamin A (also called beta-carotene) in them because that can increase your risk for lung cancer.

Does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.