Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

what is wrong when your eyes itch when you have your contacts

what is wrong when your eyes itch when you have your contacts in, this started about 2 weeks ago now I have to wear my glasses, my eyes just feel better, I haven't had any problems with contacts until now

Hello and thanks for your question.

Itchy eyes are usually the result of some type of allergen exposure. It is most commonly an environmental or inhalant allergen, but can come in the form of creams, makeups, or even contact lens solutions rarely.

Anytjme there is an allergy in the eyes, putting something in the eyes will exacerbate that. It's likely that there isn't anything wrong with your contact lens solution or contacts (except that you might need a new pair). But what I would suggest doing is to keep the contacts out for a week or so and start using an anti-allergy drop that you can purchase over the counter: either Alaway or Zaditor. If after 1 week of use your symptoms are no better, you may need to try a prescription allergy drop, Pataday, which would have to be prescribed by your doctor or eye doctor.

In addition, using cool compresses and artificial tears 3-4x/day can be helpful in getting your eyes back to their normal state.

Does this make sense and does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks this helps alot , so you are saying even if my eyes are not itching while the contacts are out , the eye problem is still there, I have orded new lens and will get the eye meds you talked about and wait a week or so to go back to the contacts