Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi I was wondering if you could help me, ive had reoccurring

Hi
I was wondering if you could help me, i've had reoccurring eye problem for well over 6 months. Initially I was diagnosed with conjunctivitis and given ‘Golden eye’ ointment, I was asked to try this a second time but it didn’t have any effect. I was then diagnosed with hayfever and asked to try allergy eye drops, an allergy nasal spray and not to wear make-up, this helped but didn’t get rid of the issue. I was then told to maintain the previous treatments but to add an oral cetrazine which helped clear my sinuses but by this time my eyes were permanently red and watering, the itching was much worse and the lids were visibly swollen. I was then asked to try antibiotic eye drops combined with allergy eye drops, this had no effect whatsoever so the doctor tried Steroid eye drops which cleared the problem in 3 days. I was only given a small amount of the steroid eye drop as the doctor said steroids can be harmful but 3 days after my eyes had returned to normal they were swollen again and had begun watering and swelling. I went back to my doctor and he said he would not give me any more steroid eye drops but instead gave me an oral 5 day course of steroids to ‘dampen the allergies in my system down’. This worked an my eyes returned to normal but 3 days since the treatment one of my eye lids has a red lump on it and the lids are beginning to swell and itch again.
I really don’t know what to do, my doctor has referred me to a dermatologist which I can’t see helping as this is clearly either an allergy or an eye problem – and other than that I can’t be seen for another 8 weeks. I’m continuing to wear no make up (I haven’t worn make up for over 8 months), was h with non-perfumed soap and use non-perfumed cream, I take cetrazine every morning and allergy eyes drops through the day. I don’t feel my doctors want to help but they don’t understand the problem and seem hesitant to my me forward to a specialist. I work as a designer, sat at a computer for 10 hours a day and the constant pain and itching it making my life miserable.
Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Kate
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is this red lump painful? Is there any discharge associated with it?

JACUSTOMER-54g6t92a- :

Thank you so much.

JACUSTOMER-54g6t92a- :

no, the lump isn't painful, just visable

JACUSTOMER-54g6t92a- :

i've had some discharge from my eyes in the morning but nothing during the day - just itching and watering

Dr. Rick :

The lump sounds like it could be the start of a stye. If this is the case you most likely have blepharitis along with whatever is causing your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Was the eye doctor treating you an ophthalmologist (MD)?

Dr. Rick :

Also, do you have any symptoms of allergies other then the issue with your eyes?

JACUSTOMER-54g6t92a- :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX was a GP so not an eye specialist. I omitted earlier that he had given me fluxocillin (i think it's called that) as an antibiotic treatment but i was sick for 2 days and had to stop taking it, i went back to ask for a different type of antibiotic but saw a different GP who said i no longer needed to take antibiotics.

JACUSTOMER-54g6t92a- :

i do have other allergies, i have been diagnosed with OAS (oral allergy syndrome) and i have a nut allergy which i carry an epi pen for

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

In a few weeks the glands (meibomian gland) should be back online and the issue with swelling should be resolved. This can also help with any allergies. It does, however, sound like you have more then just blepharitis going on.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with you......a dermatologist doesn't sound like the best choice for you to go to next. The fact that steroids has cleared up your issues and you have other allergy symptoms makes me believe that you are suffering from an allergic reaction. As you know it can be very, very difficult to isolate what you are allergic to.....it may be many things at once, and you've already changed your soap, makeup use etc with no effect.

Dr. Rick :

I think you should talk to your GP again and ask her to cancel the derm consult and set up a allergist consult. They could do patch testing etc and try to isolate what is causing your symptoms. It is great that steroids helped but your GP is correct -- they have a lot of side effects.

JACUSTOMER-54g6t92a- :

thank you for your advice, i'll speak to my GP this evening, and hopefully get a referal to an allergist.

JACUSTOMER-54g6t92a- :

Kind regards

JACUSTOMER-54g6t92a- :

Kate

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.