Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

I see a red streak in one eye. Other eye is fine. Happened

I see a red streak in one eye. Other eye is fine. Happened suddenly. No trauma. I'm 44 year old diabetic since age 8.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. PG :

Dr. PG :

are you there?

Dr. PG :

are you on any anti-hypertensives, or blood thinner medicines?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. Several. Had open heart surgery a year ago.

From the description that you have given, it seems that you are having a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This is a bleeding in the white portion of the eye. If there is no blurring of vision or any pain or any other symptoms then it is most probably subconjunctival hemorrhage only. The blood vessels in the conjunctiva (white portion of eye) are very fragile and an bleed easily. The commonest cause is a sudden increase in blood pressure, minor trauma like rubbing of eye, straining like in constipation, excessive coughing and rarely bleeding disorders. The bleed should resolve by its own in the next 10-15 days. But I would advise you to get your blood pressure checked to rule out any hypertension.

If you have such recurrent bleeds in the next few weeks or months then you need to be investigated for any bleeding disorders.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would that be visible to another person? The white of eye appears normal on examniation.

A subconjunctival hemorrhage should be visible to other person. If it is not visible, when you see in a mirror, then it would not be a subconjunctival hemorrhage. I need to know some more about your symptoms sine it is not possible to examine you.

- are you seeing the red streak in your vision?

- any other symptoms like blurring, pain etc?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I see the red blurry streak in my vision. But only in one eye.

No other symptoms.

Thanks for the information.

Since this blurry streak is sudden in appearance and you have a history of hypertension with an open heart surgery, it does make you susceptible to minor bleeds due to change in your blood pressure or the fact that you are on blood thinners (given to heart patients). Instead of a superficial bleed, this seems like a bleed or abnormality in the vitreous (posterior part of eye) or retina. I would recommend you to consult your Ophthalmologist as soon as possible for a complete retina examination. If required you might need a laser. If the bleed is in the vitreous it will absorb b itself but slowly. Also, do get your blood pressure checked.