Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello I experienced a watering eye after my shower this

Hello:

I experienced a watering eye after my shower this morning ... and it continues somewhat until now. However, I notice my left eye only dilates moderately when I look into bright light. The right eye dilates to a small size. I also notice my pucker kiss is lopsided now ... fully puckered on the right side, but just no pull to fully pucker on the left side. Any suggestions as to what has happened?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question tonight

Dr. Rick :

do you have any medical problems and, if so, what medicine do you take. Also other then the left sided facial weakness have you had any other symptoms at all?

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

Hello Dr. Rick.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Nice to chat with you.

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

None. The symptoms were sudden after ther morning shower. No other medical problems or medications.

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed any funny tastes in your mouth or when eating or hearing changes?

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

No funny tastes. No hearing changes.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause of sudden, isolated, painless facial weakness is Bell's palsy.

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

I was in Detroit Michigan this morning visiting relatives and drove home to Brunswick Ohio this afternoon.

Dr. Rick :

Most often it is caused by a virus such as herpes (cold sores) Epstein-Barr(mononucleosis) or CMV.

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

Would Bell's Palsy explain the lack of eye dialation?

Dr. Rick :

There you have it....you were too close to the Lion's football stadium :)....just kidding! I'm a die hard packer fan.

Dr. Rick :

It is not common, but possible.

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

Yea, but the Browns won.

Dr. Rick :

True.

Dr. Rick :

It can be seen in pregnancy ( I think we can rule that one out), diabetics or after a cold/flu or for reasons we can't figure out (idiopathic)

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

Would a touth infection, unnoticed, lead to these symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

not really, but it could be a stressor that brings out latent cold sore virus along the facial nerve to cause the Bell's Palsy

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

Is the Bell's Palsy going to subside overnight?

Dr. Rick :

Of course the other cause could be a stroke. In the case of a stroke you would expect other problems in addition to the facial muscle weakness....which you say you don't have

Dr. Rick :

no. It can last for a few weeks, sometimes more.

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

All family members, including my wife think I'm "normal", and have not noticed the symptoms I've noticed.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of patients the weakness is gone by 2 months without any treatment.

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

What restrictions to diet and normal activities should I be aware of?

Dr. Rick :

Good. Your wife would be able to notice subtle changes that you might not even be aware of.

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

What concern should I have about the eye?

Dr. Rick :

No diet or activity restrictions. You have to protect your eye from drying out though with the use of natural tears during the day and maybe ointment at night. If you wife notices you eye cracked open at night you may need to get some medical tape, put ointment in your eye and tape it gently shut before going to sleep.

Dr. Rick :

you should use the drops even before your eye becomes dry to prevent any damage. With the weak eyelid muscles your normal tears will not be working like they should.

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

Sounds good ... to use tape. My left eye seems to be a partial or slow blinker.

Dr. Rick :

yup. Sounds like you need to watch that eye closely for dryness.

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

By the way, is this a one-time event, or will this repeat thoughout my life. Now that it's happened for the first time?

Dr. Rick :

I found [email protected] about this condition that you may want to read.

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

I'll check it out on WebMD. Thanks for the tip.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible but in my experience I've not seen it come back in the same patient. Of course that might be because they deal with it at home without coming back to the office.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. If you could be so kind as to press 'accept' so I can get credit for helping you tonight I'd appreciate it. Heck, I might even root for the Lions next week for you!

Dr. Rick :

but probably not :)

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I help you with tonight?

JACUSTOMER-tmkvwm5u- :

OK. You've been very reassuring. I'll try to take care of the partial blinker. I've finished asking questions, I'll accept and let you go.

Dr. Rick :

Good night then.