Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

burning in eyes, feels like something in them but nothing

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

This symptom of burning is quite often the result of dry eyes. It sounds as though you have done some good things by washing them with water and using eye drops. Often times, however, there must be consistent and timely treatment daily for a few weeks before the symptoms will go away.

To that end, I would suggest starting to use hot compresses on both eyes 1-2x/day, 10 minutes each time. I would also suggest using artificial tears (any kind you can buy over-the-counter except don't buy the kind that say get-the-red-out) 4x/day in both eyes. Doing both of these treatments daily will likely help these symptoms resolve over the course of two to three weeks.

Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.