Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My right eye get red every couple weeks and been like this

My right eye get red every couple weeks and been like this for over6 months. In china doctors suspicious its early Scleritis inflammation. Just let me use drops and couldn't tell me what caused it and how else treat it. I m become more concerned now as I feel my vision getting worse and sees black spots now and then. Do I need to be really concered or just use drop when it come, what if it getting worse I mean I m scared I m losing my sight??. Please help me and I m not sure where to find a good specialist to give me a firm answer about this in Sydney
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

You seem to be offline, hence I'm posting the answer here instead of chat.

As you have mentioned the possibility of scleritis as the cause of recurrent redness in one eye, let me just give list of possible causes of scleritis.

It is often associated with auto-immune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, polyarteritis nodosa, wegener's granulomatosis, systemic lupus erythematosis.These can be verified by various tests including RA factor( blood), ANA-antinuclear antibodies, ANCA- Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies, Chest X-ray, ultrasound of the eye etc.

For vision to be affected in scleritis, there can be uveitis, keratitis, glaucoma, cataract. If you have been on steroids for as long as 6 months, then a possibility of posterior subcapsular type of cataract has to be looked for.

In case of complications arising out of chronic use of steroids( oral), you can be switched over to immunosuppressants like cyclophosphomide.

You can find a list of ophthalmologists in sydney by following this link-

But it would not be possible to comment on who is good enough and who is not.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist