Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Ive been diagnosed as having a wrinkled retina. Cant find

Customer Question

I've been diagnosed as having a 'wrinkled' retina. Can't find anything that mentions this condition. Can you elaborate? Also, how can I make sure that the doctor is proficient in treating this condition and what minimum experience should I expect him to have.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I can certainly understand your angst at being told to wait and not completely understanding what is happening to you.

A wrinkled retina is a layman's term to describe the following terms which are essentially synonyms of each other: epiretinal membrane and macular pucker. This wrinkling of the retina can lead to either decreased visual acuity, metamorphopsia (which is where objects become distorted, such as a door frame looking wavy), or both. The surgery to correct this is a major operation and carries with it some risk, including hastening of cataract formation, retinal detachment, retinal swelling, and glaucoma. Most people who get this surgery do very well, but there are those risks involved, however small they are. That is why a retinal surgeon may make the recommendation to wait until the vision is significantly affected so that the benefits to be gained from the surgery outweigh the risks.

Usually, any ophthalmologist who has done sub-specialty training in a retinal fellowship, or in other words they are a retinal specialist, has the training to be able to do this. This type of surgery is their bread and butter and any of them should be proficient at this surgery if they successfully finished their fellowship. Beyond that, if you're looking for which retinal specialist is better versus another one, you really need to talk to other patients and those who have experience with one doctor versus another.

Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Dan,

Can I fly with this condition?
Yes, you should have no problem flying with this condition.