Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

same sensation in the same eyes (no change

Customer Question

In the last 3 or 4 days I have experienced an ache in my left eyeball, and it grew a bit worse in brighter light.I had the same sensation in the same eyeball about four months ago and mentioned it to the optometrist during my routine eye exam. She examined my eyes (no change in prescription), and did not give me any info ref my ache. The ache went away. Now with the recurrence I am wondering what the issue might be. By the way, it is dissipating today and feels like it will be totally gone again. Any anfo will be appreciated. Thank you. Herb Strong
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you today

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

There are many possible causes for an intermittent ache in your eye associated with photophobia. Some of them are serious, some of them are very serious and some of them are not really a problem at all. For example, you could be suffering from intermittent angle closure glaucoma, uveitis, infection or dry eyes. Without seeing you or having more information I really can't tell what it could be for sure.

I am glad you were examined by an eye care professional and nothing serious was noticed. I believe, however, that you really need to be seen by an eye doctor (MD) for a complete dilated examination. The ophthalmologist should be able to rule out many of the serious conditions that could be causing your discomfort even if you are not having the pain at the time of the exam. A complete eye exam will also check for tear film, tear gland or eyelid issues that could be contributing to your symptoms.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.