Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Dear Doctor, I am 60; on regular anti- hypertensive drugs.

Dear Doctor,
I am 60; on regular anti- hypertensive drugs.
Under my two eyes are swollen; and different medical personnel have referred to this as water Eye Bags; but nobody has suggested the cure to the swellings. I feel no pains therefrom.
I need your assistance as these swellings make me look older than 60.
Expecting to hear from you.

Thanks
Allison. A
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question

Dr. Rick :

I have a couple of questions if you don

Dr. Rick :

't mind

Dr. Rick :

Does the swelling change much from day to day? Do you have swelling elsewhere on your face or body, such as legs, feet or hands?

Customer :

No. It does not change on day by day basis; but there is noticeable increase as my age increases. No other swellings any other part of my body

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have prolapse of the orbital fat under your eyelids. This is a very common condition with aging and can be fixed with eyelid surgery.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

The surgery can be done by an ophthalmologist, an oculoplastic surgeon and some dermatologists. It involves making an incision in your lower eyelids, either on the inside of your lid or through the skin of your lower lid and removing the prolapsed fat and sometimes sewing back the septum (tissue that holds back the orbital fat)

I could tell you all about the surgery however I found a link on the internet that has pictures and explains it as well as I could. I agree with everything that you can find by going to wikipedia under blepharoplasty. The example shown is of the upper lid, but the same general principles applies.

I think you would be best served to consult with an ophthalmologist who does eyelid surgery or, if you so desire, an oculoplastic surgeon.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Surgery will not be possible with me now; Im scared the facilities may not be available in my country now. So what is the alternative to surgery?Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately there is nothing that will remove the fullness of the lower lids caused by prolapsed orbital fat other then surgery. The media has many ads for creams, lotions etc that claim they can make things look better and solve the problem of swelling under your eyes but, as many ladies can tell you, they really don't work.

I have done lower lid blepharoplasty in my office minor procedure room. While some might say that blepharoplasty is not a minor procedure it has been done by skilled surgeons outside of a formal operating room. If you can locate an ophthalmologist, perhaps she can help you.

The alternative to surgery to to learn to live with the "swelling", which you now know is most likely due to the forward movement of the natural fat pads under your eyes.

I wish I could tell you of a simple solution to your difficulty that does not involve surgery but, as far as I know, there is nothing else that has been promen to work.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.