Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 14 year old daughter got some kind of an eye infection in

My 14 year old daughter got some kind of an eye infection in her left eye which got better, however transfered into her right eye which is alot worst. Her eye is very blood shot red, but the worst part is a small cyst looking thing growing on top of the pupil, where the lining of the pupil is. All of this has also with discharge of pussy, sticky stuff
I took her to the ER Friday,2 days ago,doctor was not sure what the cyst looking growth was and said I should take her to an ophthalmologist and gave us Ofloxacin eye drops. It looks like the drops are helping with the reddness but the cyst is still there? What should I do? Its Sunday no specialist is open today.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question

Dr. Rick :

Is this cyst right next to the clear part of her eye (the cornea)?

Customer :

Great. Thank you

Customer :

Its on the lining of the pupil

Customer :

looks like its entering the pupil

Dr. Rick :

The pupil is the opening in the iris, which is the colored part of the eye, located inside the eyeball, behind the fluid filled cornea. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, the cyst is inside her eye, on the edge of the iris and you can see it in the pupil? Does this make sense to you?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Rick :

Has her vision in that eye been affected or is she very sensitive to light?

Customer :

no change in vision, no sensitivity to light

Dr. Rick :

Ok. The pussy, sticky external discharge is most likely not related to the cyst inside her eye, on the pupil margin. That could be caused by a viral infection ("pink eye") with a possible secondary bacterial infection. The Ofloxacin would do a good job of treating the bacterial -- but not the viral -- external infection, which would account for her improvement over the last 72 hrs. Do this seem to be what you are noticing in your daughters clinical condition?

Customer :

yes exactly

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I feel that we are on the same page and I understand what is going on. Now. Let's get back to the cyst inside the eye...

Customer :

ok

Dr. Rick :

There are many benign causes of iris masses and some bad causes. In a 14 year old with normal vision, no photophobia etc the most common cause is what is called a benign iris cyst.

Customer :

ok, so how bad is that?

Customer :

what can be done?

Dr. Rick :

An benign iris cyst if of minimal consequence. Many times it causes no problems and just needs to be observed. The most important thing to do with an iris cyst is document it and watch for change. It it gets too big, causes damage to intraocular structures such as the lens, iris or cornea, it can be removed with surgery.

Dr. Rick :

I have a number of patients with benign iris cysts that I have been following for many years and none of them have required anything other then watching.

Customer :

should I take her to the emergency room at childrens' hospital where they have an ophthamologist on call?

Customer :

she does wear glasses. she is nearsighted

Dr. Rick :

It is hard for me to say yes or no on a chat type system. I can't see her so I can't be sure (thanks for all the lawyers out there who make us say this sort of stuff....) but from what you have been telling me there is no need to rush to the ER for an emergency eye consult

Customer :

Thank you kindly for all of your help. You have made it much more clear. Really really appreciate your expertise and professionalism. May God Bless you always.

Dr. Rick :

I agree that you should have your daughter seen by an ophthalmologist you trust within the next few days. I believe that chances of this being something terrible -- like an intraocular melanoma -- is small and it will turn out to be just an iris cyst

Dr. Rick :

but as parents we worry....alot :)

Customer :

ok. I definately will. Thank you so much doctor. Have a wonderful evening.

Dr. Rick :

I hope I've helped you some tonight. If you would be so kind as to press the accept button I'd appreciate it. You have a good evening too.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest