Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Good Day, Over the last month I have experienced excessive

Good Day,
Over the last month I have experienced excessive tearing in both eyes without any discomfort whatsoever. I have visited my eye specialist who did the prescribed tests for blocked tear ducts etc and the outcome was that everything seemed normal. He did however prescribe a cours of antibiotic eye drops and drops for dry eyes. The anibiotic has now been completed but still, after two weeks, I have seen not improvement in my condition which is embarassing.
Could you please put my mind at ease as I am hoping that this does not point to some underlying medical condition and that it will disappear with time.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Are you there?

Customer :

Hello Dr James,

Dr. James :

Do you accept those terms?

Customer :

Yes I do

Dr. James :

To clarify, your doctor checked to see if your tear ducts were blocked?
How did he do that?

Customer :

He performed the normal test for pressure and vision and then inserted a needle into the ducts and found no blockages

Dr. James :

Yes, that is the typical way to check for a nasolacrimal duct obstruction.

Dr. James :

When did the tearing begin?
Is it worse at certain times of the day?
Do you wear contact lenses?

Customer :

I do not wear lenses but do wear reading glasses. The symptoms appeared about two months ago and is always the same. I have no discomfort or itchyness at all - it just appears as though I cry all day long

Dr. James :

For there, it is either due over production of tears or not enough drainage of tears. The test done in the office rules out the latter.

Dr. James :

For over production, it is usually due to underlying irritation or dryness. Most often it is accompanied by irritation you can feel, but I've had many patients in your situation who only have tearing and no irritation symptoms.

Dr. James :

The first step to treat any underlying problems exacerbating the tearing. These are commonly due to dry eyes and inflammation if the eyelids at the bases of the eyelashes.

Dr. James :

I recommend using over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times a day. I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged oil glands of your eyelids.

Dr. James :

After the warm compresses, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers twice a day.

Dr. James :

If you are in a dry environment or use a lot of heaters in the home, you may consider a humidifier in the home to moisten the air.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer :

I is reassuring to know that there is not underlying serious problem and I will certainly start the treatment you have suggested. Thanks you Dr James

Customer :

No other questions

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Customer :

Ok. and Good Bye