Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my right eye gets all red, itchy and my vision is a little blurred

I'm 47 years old and for about the last three years my right eye gets all red, itchy and my vision is a little blurred. This last for about three days and then goes away for another two to three months. My question is why does this happen?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Such symptoms are typical of allergic conjunctivitis. The exact allergen would be difficult to pin-point unless you are aware of any. It could be anything from pollen in the air to dust mites . The treatment is in the form of anti-allergy eye medicines like Pataday eye drops , 1 drop two times a day for 3 weeks. If itching is severe the oral cetrizine 10 mg, 1 tab at bedtime for 5 days can be taken. If allergen is known then it should be preferrable avoided. In case of unknown allergen , symptomatic treatment is the only option. Usually there is no blurring of vision in allergic conjunctivitis. since you have mentioned a blurring of vision, it could be due to allergic kerato-conjunctivitis( ie along with conjunctiva which is the white part of the eye, the cornea is also inflammed) But this is characteristically associated with severe pain in the eye. Only in very severe cases of allergy , steroid eye drops will have to be given. You will need a prescription for these eye medicines , which you can get after consulting an eye specialist.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince