Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I need an answer from a doctor who is an expert in the area

I need an answer from a doctor who is an expert in the area of eye diseases.
My 29 yr old son had his right eye removed due to eye injury 4-5 years ago. His left eye has been having problems for about 4-5 months with blurred vision, eye pressure and pain. He says the pupil looks strange at times. He saw an optometrist and was told he was nearsighted, astygmatism, vision 20/40 and got glasses. This didn't help. He then saw an opthalmologist and was told nothing wrong, healthy optic nerve and retina. He continues to have same pain, pressure, blurring. He has black floaters (more noticeable in the sunlight). Some days when he wakes up there is like a film over his eye for first 30 minutes or so, vision is very blurry. He has had steroid drops but they only last about a week and then there are lapses before he gets any again from next doctor. He's seen 2 optometrists and 2 opthalmologists now and is told everything looks fine, eye has been dilated, even had an MRI but he continues to suffer. To add to this he is in prison and used to read a lot but can only do for short periods now as that bothers him. He has brief periods where it gets a little better then starts again. He has no discharge from it and THEY SAY it's not sympathetic opthalmalia. He says it feels like the prosthetic socket is trying to see. We are afraid he will go blind before this is figured out! Please help.
Janice Sann XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with you question

Dr. Rick :

If you are online we can communicate by chat.

Dr. Rick :

When you said they he was told it was not sympathetic ophthalmia, do you know how the ophthalmologists came to that conclusion? Also can you son's vision be corrected to 20/20 with glasses?

Dr. Rick :

He needs to be closely examined for any intraocular inflammation and the presence of dalen-fuchs nodules. This is best done with an extended, dilated exam and/or a fluorescein angiogram.

Dr. Rick :

Given his history your son should have an evaluation by a retina specialist to make make sure there is no evidence of sympathetic ophthalmia

Customer :

I of course have only been able to communicate by phone or short visits thru glass. I only know what he's told me and have not been able to be present at Dr. visits. His vision was 20/20 in the remaining eye when the other was removed. I don't think the glasses have really been any help to speak of with the symptons. He did say his eye has been dilated, I don't know how extensive.

Customer :

This is scarey for him and very frustrating. The prison system is going to quit trying to help him but siomething is really wrong. He is not a hypochondriac and hasn't seen a dr since he was 18 except for the enuncleation.

Dr. Rick :

Being is prison is the hard part because the first thing they do is tell him he's lying. However, SO can be very subtle when it starts and since he only has one eye I would feel better if a fellowship-trained retina specialist took a peek at him

Dr. Rick :

If his vision is 20/20 still, and he has been having this problem for awhile I would feel better since, once most cases of SO get going things tend to get worse fairly quickly -- a matter of hours to weeks, depending upon the amount of immune reaction

Dr. Rick :

Retina diseases is an area of interest for me and I've seen SO before. It can be difficult to treat, even requiring the assistance of an oncologest to use power immune suppressing meds

Customer :

Yes, I imagine they think this is in his head or he's making i tup but he was in jail 9 months before he started exhibiting these problems and began complaining about them. They only give him one rx of drops and there are weeks between getting another rx so i think this defeats the purpose.

Dr. Rick :

If it was SO he will need much more the topical steroid drops. Is there anyway to get the jail to allow him to be seen by a retina trained ophthalmologist? This may be over kill but if it was my son I would sleep better knowing he had an extensive exam by someone highly qualified to find any issues.

Customer :

The floaters are a more recent complaint I've heard from him and the film in the am. I think this is progressing and nothing is getting done!

Dr. Rick :

Sorry about the typo's.....there should be spell check on chat :)

Dr. Rick :

the floaters could be nothing serious or they could be a sign of inflammation in the back of the eye.....needs to be checked.

Customer :

I can try to contact them and ask about the retina trained opth but the decision is in their hands.

Dr. Rick :

Is he in prison or a local jail? I ask because sometime a small jail is more willing to get a prisoner in for medical exams

Dr. Rick :

If you think it would help you can contact me through this site and maybe there is someway I can write a short letter.

Customer :

This started when he was in jail and they did the first optometrist and opthalmologist and the MRI. He was give glasses and later drops Then at the prison evaluation facility he saw optometrist and he was given an rx of drops. he has just been moved to his prison he will be at. Yes, a letter with your recommendations/suggestions/ thoughts could be very helpful. Could i get back with you with an address and whose attention to send it to when I find out? It would be next week at least. I know they will just think i'm an over protective mother but I'm fighting for my son's vision. Most of what was done when he was in jail was due to my pushing for things.

Dr. Rick :

I would be happy to do that. Just log on to this site and send your note to my attention.

Customer :

This is Jeremy's first time in prison and as if that isn't bad enough, this is horrible to have to deal with and try to focus on fitting in and learning the ropes of prison life. He says I'm the light at the end of his tunnel (when he gets out) but he may lose his vision long before that.

Dr. Rick :

Hopefully with our help we can avoid that. I look forward to hearing from you again. If you could be so kind as to press the 'accept' button I'd appreciate it. Talk to you again soon, or we can chat more if needed today.

Dr. Rick :

try and get more information about the findings of his exams so I can evaluate them and refer to them in a note.

Customer :

How can I contact you on this site without paying again or willI I have to? Your name is XXXXX XXXXX?? I will try to find out more info. He needs help so bad!!

Dr. Rick :

No. You will not have to pay again if you don't want to. There is a way to send a note to an expert but I'm not sure how. Perhaps you can go to the help part of the screen? Push come to shove I can just type the answer and you never hit accept --that way you will not be charged.

Dr. Rick :

Ya, I'm the only Rick on the eye expert site

Dr. Rick :

It is my pleasure to help. When you find out what location he is in I might even know a retina specialist in the area who would be willing to get involved......we're a very small group :)

Customer :

I know he's in Ellsworth, KS. I hope I will be able to contact you okay because I don't know how much permanent damage may be done here if we don't get help soon. Thank you so much for taking a personal interest. I appreciate it!

Dr. Rick :

It is my pleasure

Customer :

Thank you. If you find anything in discussing with anyone else you could contact me at XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. I will push accept. thanks for your time.

Dr. Rick :

phone numbers and emails are blocked by the system....I just got a bunch of x'x

Customer :

Oh, I see. Can you tell if I accepted? I pushed it but not sure if it took.

Dr. Rick :

not sure......doesn't seem like it on this side.

Customer :

Ok. I'll try again. Hope I don't get charged twice.

Dr. Rick :

this has happened before...guess you just have to keep on trying to push it. I've got to get offline for a bit.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest