Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

The Viterous fluid in my left eye has hardened and attached

The Viterous fluid in my left eye has hardened and attached itself to the back of the eye. My vision in that eye is now distorted directly in the middle. Is there any treatment for this condition??
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

It sounds as though what you are describing is consistent with a membrane on the retina or what's often called macular pucker. You may also have the vitreous pulling on the retina at the back of the eye causing distorted vision as you have described it.

Either way, there is an option for these conditions. If the vision problems stemming from this pathology is significant enough, ie your vision is worse than 20/40 or if you are having a significantly difficult time doing what you need to do everyday because of it, then it is reasonable to talk to a retina surgeon about surgery. It is a major surgery, but if it does not improve with time and observation, then this may be the best option.

Does that make sense and does that address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.