Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am having a very itchy eye especially around the tearduct

I am having a very itchy eye especially around the tearduct area(in the corner of the eye). It's almost more then a year. It's been happening on and off with alternate eye. I been going to the eye doc every few month and doc said it's allergy and everytime prescribed be Lotemax and followed by pataday. But one of the eye doc mention it could be allergy from silicon from which contact lens are made from.

I been wearing contact lens acuvue oyasys almost more than 4 yrs and now just started acuvue one day moist because of the sensitive eyes , but seems like it is not helping a bit. I possibly tried everything from eye sanitization to warm compress.

I also tried several different eye doc but everybody has the same answer.

Itchiness is more in the morning and in the evening . It concern me a lot because it's been happening on and off more than a year.

Please advice.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Dr. Rick :

Has you doctor ever mentioned a condition called GPC?

Customer :

no

Customer :

what is GPC?

Dr. Rick :

GPC is a condition related to allergies to the contacts, from protiens associated to them, not the silicone itself.

Dr. Rick :

do you have any discharge/mucus?

Customer :

yes in the morning when i wake up

Dr. Rick :

With allergies it is very common for the area around the tear duct to be the most involved since, when you blink, the allergens are concentrated there. It is possible that you have a few things going on at once here.....allergies as well as blepharitis.

Customer :

what should I do to avoid this happening again and again?

Dr. Rick :

Trying to find what you are allergic to is very hard to do....it could be anything and it could be more then one thing. Since you have had this problem for over a year, off and on, makes this likely. You could use over the counter allergy treatments for the possible allergies, or see a physician for some Rx meds and/or a complete allergy workup but before doing that I think you should try to treat the possible blepharitis. This is easy to do.

Dr. Rick :

Buy some no more tears, unsented, baby shampoo. When you are in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyelids and scrub back and forth across your EYELASH line. This will help in two ways

Customer :

and what is blepharitis?

Customer :

ok

Dr. Rick :

it will wash away allegens and get the meibomium glands (a glad that makes one component of your tear film) back online. Blepharitis is a very, very common dysfunction of the tear glands. By what you are telling me of your history I feel you have this problem

Dr. Rick :

It is OK to continue with your normal makeup. Switching to the acuvue one day lenses should also help.

Dr. Rick :

What else can I share with you today?

Customer :

do i need to use any tear drop since my eyes also feel very dry

Dr. Rick :

It has been a pleasure to assist you. If you would be so kind as to press the 'accept' button I would appreciate it. Any feedback you would like to give would also be welcome.

Dr. Rick :

Natural tears, preservative free, are good to use

Dr. Rick :

they have no chemicals that could contribute to your possible allergies

Customer :

ok thanks

Dr. Rick :

you are welcome. Have a good weekend.

Customer :

and do i need to use Lotemx or Patady?

Dr. Rick :

How well have they worked for you so far? They both have a preservative that can complicate the issue even they both work to supress allergies and allergy symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

there are also preservatives in you CTL solution, but with a daily lens you shouldn't be useing any of that now.

Dr. Rick :

I wish they had spell check to catch typo's on chat :)

Customer :

:) lotmex and patady makes my eyes very dry , do u have any suggestiong for teardrop?

Customer :

thanks for your advice and hope it will get better

Dr. Rick :

In that case I would stop them, do the lid scrubs, maybe even add warm compresses a few times a day, and use any brand of tear replacement drop that says "no preservative". They usually come in small, single dose, plastic vials and can be expensive. You can use the container until it is empty by putting it on a table etc so it doesn't leak out until the next use

Dr. Rick :

all the tear drops are overpriced and the same so just buy the least expensive ones

Dr. Rick :

It was my pleasure to help. Enjoy the fall weather (unless you are in California where they don't fall :) )

Customer :

thanks again and nope am in Texas :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest