Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my mother who is 60 is suffering from severe dry eyes. She

Customer Question

my mother who is 60 is suffering from severe dry eyes. She has see a doctor who has given her eye drops and told her sit with a hot flannel on her eyes. This is not working i have been advised to cut out tea and all anti histermines. the symptoms start with itchy eyes always at the same time of day then she gets the sensation that she has something in her eye and turns very red. Its driving her mad!!! any advice will be gratefully rec'd
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

JACUSTOMER-kjky478x- :

Hello

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The treatment advised by the ophthalmologist for the dry eyes seems adequate. But she seems to have symptoms suggestive of allergic conjunctivitis too.

JACUSTOMER-kjky478x- :

What is the treatment - this happend every day around 3pm

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Itching , redness and irritation are very often seen in allergic conjunctivitis. Initially over the counter anti-allergy eye drops like Alaway can be tried, 1 drop twice a day.

JACUSTOMER-kjky478x- :

She was taking priton which was a anti histermine (excuse my spelling ! ) would this not of helped?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the symptoms do not reduce by the end of 2 weeks of this, then she may need more potent anti-histaminic eye drops like Patanol eye drops( olopatadine -prescription medicine).

JACUSTOMER-kjky478x- :

the treatment she has been on she has only been using for two weeks now is she hoping for too much too soon ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes , Piriton is an anti-histaminic( containing chlorpheniramine), should give relief from itching atleast if not from redness of eyes or the foreign body sensation.

JACUSTOMER-kjky478x- :

why would this only start at a certain time of day ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes she needs to continue for a few more weeks before she begins to feel the effect( atleast 2 more weeks).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Usually there is a certain cycle for release of hormones and neuro-transmittors in the body due to which such cyclic reactions take place.

JACUSTOMER-kjky478x- :

can she mix the current treatment along with the anti histaminic drop ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, she can continue the present eye medicines she is on along with starting Alaway/Zaditor eye drops.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any follow up questions?

JACUSTOMER-kjky478x- :

just a thought it is only in one eye would this make a difference ?

JACUSTOMER-kjky478x- :

Can you tell me why the hospital have not picked this up ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well, Dry eyes is seldom diagnosed in one eye only. It is possible to have symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis in one eye initially but eventually affects both eyes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Wonder if she has blepharitis( since you have mentioned it to be specifically in one eye only). In this condition there is inflammation of the eyelid margin. Can give rise to symptoms of itching, redness , watering.

JACUSTOMER-kjky478x- :

Can you advise me on the treatment - Is it worth her going back to the hospital ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Maybe you should just try the above mentioned medicine in addition to the hospital prescription. Try a gentle lid massage and lid scrub with 50:50 diluted baby shampoo and warm compresses. Since the hospital has not picked any particular eye condition, her symptoms must have been non-specific and symptomatic treatment alone is the option left.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you for this chat session.If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

JACUSTOMER-kjky478x- :

Thank you !