Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

sleep...even 10 hours, I wake feeling like there are bricks on my eyes

Customer Question

Why is it that EVERY morning, for as long as I can remember, and no matter how much sleep...even 10 hours, I wake feeling like there are bricks on my eyes. It makes me feel like I am not rested, even tho I must be!! Once, I haul myself out of bed, I'm fine. I would love to open my eyes some morning and feel perky! allergies? polyps, sinus? I just tried snorting nasonex at bedtime with no releif.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Customer :

hi

Customer :

cure me?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is most likely to be due to moderate dry eyes. It is better to start with over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day along with lacrilube eye ointment at bedtime. You should begin to feel better after 2 weeks of this therapy and can continue for a month.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If symptoms persist beyond 2-3 weeks with no relief, then I suggest you consult an ophthalmologist for a detailed eye check up along with tear film analysis and further management.

Customer :

why would my eyes be dry in the moringing after being closed all night? THey aren't dry during the day.

Customer :

I have had my eyes checked.

Customer :

other ideas? could it be my sinuses or polpys?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dry eyes is a term used to describe any tear film abnormality. The tear film is made of 3 layers, oily layer( from oil secreting glands present in the eyelids), water layer( from lacrimal glands) and mucus layer( from mucus glands in the conjunctiva or the white of the eye). So inspite of the eyes being closed during sleep the whole night , if there is problem from the oil secreting glands in the lids, the symptoms are most often seen in the mornings.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Very unlikely to be due to sinuses or polyps.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For meibomitis( inflammation of the meibomian glands or the oil secreting glands in the lids), a gentle lid scrub or massage of the lid margin with the tip of the fingers helps( to remove pent up secretions). If persistent after using lubricating eye drops and ointment and lid massage, the next treatment is a short course of oral doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for 2 weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any follow up questions?

Customer :

no

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer :

Is there a chance another professional might look at this question?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, if you are not satisfied with the answer, please let me know so that I can opt out ,giving an oppotunity for another eye expert to give their opinion.

Customer :

I don't want to rip you off. Can I somehow pay you and still get a "second" opinion?

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advise and I will give it a try. I have had this "upon waking" sensation for , gosh, 10 years, my eyes feel fine during the day....never any discharge....can I get back to you if the drops don't work?

I appreciate your acceptance of the answer. You are most welcome to visit the site any time again in furture, especially if the given advice does not work. We are here to give suggestions till your satisfaction.

Thank you and best wishes.

PS- Do not press the accept button again.