Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Thank you for your answer. I saw an opthalmologist and he

Thank you for your answer. I saw an opthalmologist and he said I do not have a detached retina. The last few days, though, when I read a book but sometimes several lines have a "frosted look" while the lines above and below are clear. Is this anything to be concerned about?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is good that atleast the flashes of light have not been due to any detachment of the retina.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you have had your retina examined already by an ophthalmologist, I do not think that any part of the retina( macula) is responsible for the frosted look as of now. Because if it were to be the cause it would have been detected during the eye exam. I guess a repeat visual test at the optician or optometrist will help to know if any customised near reading correction rather than the +3.0 which you are using right now.

Customer :

What about the new little thing of perhaps 3 lines being blurry when the ones above and below are clear

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Has this symptom been noticed after the ophthalmologist's visit?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Any history of diabetes/diabetic retinopathy?

Customer :

I mentioned it to the the doctor and he did not comment. I have a follow up appointment in a month so if it is still there, I will address it with him. I will be traveling quite a bit and just wanted a bit of assurance that this wasn't something that was going to give me trouble on the road. Thank you

Customer :

Also, I don't know of any diabetes in our family.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

While reading a book , if 3 lines are blurred, then it is a matter of concern. No, I don't think it will worsen due to travel. It is possible that the ophthalmologist would not have noticed anything abnormal in the retina as of now and would follow up after sometime for any change.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since there is no history of diabetes, the possibility of diabetic retinopathy related macular problem is very unlikely.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the frosted look is present only sometimes and is not a constant feature, it is very unlikely to be a serious issue. In case of PVD( which I had mentioned in my earlier post), floaters may come in the line of vision and cause haziness. It disappears once the floater drifts out of vision. You can start putting preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day , in case there is slight dry eyes, causing blurred vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any follow up questions?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you for this chat session. I need to step out for a few minutes and will be back in a short while.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince