Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had cataract surgery on left eye three weeks ago and right

I had cataract surgery on left eye three weeks ago and right eye one week ago my eyes keep watering and yesterday i could hardly keep my eyes open in glare of sun is this normal?
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It all depends on the eye medicines you have been put on and any associated eye inflammation. If a cycloplegic eye drop has been started like cyclopentolate eye drops , then there will dilatation of the pupils , causing photophobia. Remedy is to wear photochromatic eye glasses or dark glasses when outdoors.

Customer :

I have acular and maxitrol eye drops

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In case there is inflammation in the eye ( post-op iritis) , which is quite common after cataract surgery , it responds well to the steroid eye drops prescribed.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would be better to start prednisolone eye drops . Acular is a non steroidal eye drop while maxitrol is an antibiotic eye drop. Both can be continued as prescribed.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Try wearing dark glasses for outdoors and in case the photophobia continues( along with redness and watering) then I suggest you go back to your surgeon for a check up of the eyes and start of steroid eye drops if need be.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

do you have any more questions?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist